Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Dear Samsung: Why I'm Leaving You in 2015

Really though, Sammy?

Dear Samsung,

In June of 2013, I decided to purchase my Galaxy S4 because I was tired of my HTC Vivid after two years of screaming and frustration. I have now, however, realized I must part with you in June of 2015.

While I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy my S4, I cannot allow myself to be locked into an Apple-like ecosystem. I want to be able to choose which services I want and to be able to go without excessive amounts of manufacturer bloatware. I enjoy the TouchWiz interface on Android, but I need a new experience.



That's only the icing on this circuit board cake. When you released the Gear 2 family of smartwatches, you locked them in to work only with 17 certain Samsung Galaxy devices. I can't be locked into a system where I can't carry over my smartwatch to a new Android phone because it only works with 17 devices.

That being said, I know who's next: Sony. Sony does offer exclusive services, but you don't need a Sony smartphone or device to access everything. Yes, some parts are exclusive to the devices, but most of their features, like Playstation Now, can or will be accessible on non-Sony devices, such as home computers or even *gasp* non-Sony smartphones.

In addition, I have decided not to purchase the Gear 2 Neo, but either the HOT smartwatch or the Kreyos Meteor, pending their reviews. I want something that works with all phones, not just a specific brand.

I hope you understand, dear Samsung. It may not mean much that one person is leaving you, but it's for the best. Well, for me at least.

Well wishes,
Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment